Friday, July 8, 2011

Painting #165 - July 8 - Something different today

It was a Blue Moon day, we got together to paint, Sue had a setup ready, so we all decided to paint a still life from life. I decided to do that acrylic painting that I've been thinking about doing, remember, I said I might do one, well, here it is. I do believe that I like the oil a bit better for blending, but I have all these acrylics, so I'm going to use them. I did have a good time painting it, like I said though, I would have liked them to cover better and blend better, maybe if I keep working with them, I'll get so I can manage it, of course, my acrylics are the soft body kind, and I think that's why they don't cover as well.

I decided to work on an 8" x 10" gallery wrapped canvas, I painted all around the sides, which you can't see in the photo. I sketched this on the canvas, then started right in with orange on the red pitcher, this red pitcher is a very warm red so the orange was the highlight for the red body. I pretty much laid in all the local color on each of the apples and the cloth, I originally had an antique doll size trike, but it didn't really help the composition, so I took it out, part of the reason I took it out was that it was supposed to be a supporting actor, but it was intricate enough that it was drawing your eye to it, plus the fact that I didn't have a large enough canvas to make it as detailed as it should have been if it was the focal point, and the fact that it was running off the page didn't help, so I took it out. I decided on the striped background. the dots were originally white but I decided with so much orange that they should be blue, so blue they became, this was a fun day, I like this little painting and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment