Thursday, July 7, 2011

Painting #164 - July 7 - the clayboard again

I guess I got so wrapped up with the illustration board with the gesso application, that I forgot that I really did enjoy painting on the clayboard, it just seems like I discovered the clayboard again, I really think it depends on what you want to paint on it, but the scenery seems to really work well on this surface. I have had some success with flowers too, but, I think the clayboard really does well with the landscapes. Don't get me wrong, I really like the illustration board with the gesso too, but I had a failure (I over wet it and it damaged the surface and soaked up the board underneath), so I'm kind of staying away from it right now, I'm sure it will get back to it again too, the one trouble with it is that I've been tired again, and those pieces are 10" x 10", it really takes all day for me to finish one of those, or more than one day, parts of 2 or 3.

This scene is reminiscent of many back dirt roads, and just seemed to call me. I took this photo on an outing with my friend Carol, we went out sketching (and taking photo's) several years ago, I was looking through my photo's and found it and decided to work it up, I do think I need to finish a bit more on the limbs of this tree, but I have to look at it in the morning, right now my eyes are crossed (well, not crossed, but very tired), so, I put the sky in, while it was wet, I added the line of trees in the back and then the middle ground trees, I put in the patch of dried grasses in the middle, and then the green in the foreground, and last but not least, I put in the two trees in the foreground. I like this painting and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment