Thursday, December 1, 2011

Painting #311 - Dec 1 - what a day, but it was a good painting day.

Well, after spending the afternoon yesterday lighting my furnace, I obviously didn't have that great a day for painting, and because I got a late start, I was painting until 1:00 a.m. this morning, so, it was a bit of a short night, so this morning, I raced around and got ready for classes in Marshall, ran over to the studio to see if the stove was still lit, and then raced off to class, only to find that my friend Edith was not home, well, after I got in there and figured out that she did say she wasn't going to be there for classes this week, I then knew that I didn't have to paint china, so I put the china painting stuff back in the car and got the watercolor stuff and began my blog painting early (china painting class is in the morning and watercolor class is in the afternoon, since we have 4 other students for watercolor I did have the watercolor class), so this is getting posted early, I'm sure my Hubby will appreciate that. He called around this morning to check on a different furnace, I don't know yet if he found one or what we are going to do, that will have to be a priority, my art stuff is very important to me.

My painting today is another barn scene, it was a photo in a horizontal format, so I changed that up to a vertical, it's on a 5" x 7" Aquabord, and then I moved some buildings around and eliminated some others, the field was a bit narrower, and this was perched on a bit of a hill and you couldn't really see much behind it so I invented that. As always, the sky is first, I pondered what color to make it, the photo showed a white sky, as it is dusk, well, that makes it pretty dull, so I decided that it looked a bit pink, and that's the color I chose, I then put in some far away trees and a field, the barn was next, I painted in the shape and made it pretty much blue gray (as an underpainting, I added other colors later), and then the foreground, first I was going to make the field look like it had curved rows, but then decided that the flat rows really did look best, and the then weeds, there, it took about 2 hours to complete this painting.

During class I started on a Christmas card, I have our watercolor club Christmas dinner meeting, and card exchange on Monday evening, and we do an original hand painted card, last year the cards I received were duds, one was a copy (like a photo copy) of an original painting (original means an original, not a copy) and one was a joke, and not even my kind of joke, obviously this person thought they were funny, but I thought I both of the cards I got were duds. I think if that happens again this year, I will forego the card exchange next year. Not fair to give an original hand painted card, and get junk in return, but that's life I guess. Well, I think you know how I complete these paintings and so, I'll just say, I like this little painting, and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment