Thursday, December 8, 2011

Painting #318 - Dec 8 - Classes in Marshall today and it was a good day to paint

I really worked hard on one in class today, but, I didn't feel that I could finish it in a couple of hours when I got home (since I have a tendency to wait until the last min. to finish my paintings), so, I decided to set up a little still life with a dish rag (hand knitted by me), a teapot, some cups and a spoon (I do believe I will have to visit the goodwill store to find some interesting stuff, I didn't realize that those old statuettes would be anything I'd like, but, I have seen some interesting paintings with these little figures in and I think I'd like to try some, not exactly like theirs, but it just looks fun), especially since I'm struggling to get enthused about my photo's right now (a little burn out I guess, I kind of knew it would happen, and thankfully, it didn't happen as soon as I thought it would).

I did enjoy painting this one today (and the one that you can't see yet, since it isn't done), I have about an hour and a half in this, it's not quite as fine tuned as I usually get, I have been thinking of ways to shorten my painting time, but for some reason I just keep painting, although, since I've been struggling with inspiration, I have kind of pushed that up a bit, well, you don't really want to know about that. Anyway, I have gone back to painting on paper for the time being, since I've been missing the wet-in-wet process, I'm just trying to stimulate some inspiration to keep me painting. Sue thought that I might try giving myself a one hour time limit, which would really push my buttons, don't know if I can do that, but I was thinking that since the poinsettia's went so well, that I might start working larger, which would eliminate some of the fine detail that I sort of get wrapped up in, I have been missing painting the larger pictures, but when I'm so tired, I just don't know if I can do that, we'll see, I have to do something, I need to keep painting and I don't think I'm lazy, just a procrastinator (which is ingrained since childhood), and I don't leave myself enough time to complete the painting like I want, so, I'm staying up too late, and blah blah blah, you've heard me talk about this before, I want to paint, I just don't know how I can change the horrible procrastination habits I have, so this blog is the way that I'm trying to do that, I am pretty good at psyching myself into things, and since I can't not do it, if I say I'm going to do it, something in me just won't let me slack on that (mostly because you are all watching and expect to see a painting every day and I can't let you down, myself I might be able to, but not you), mostly, I'm just tired, I did think there might be a physical reason, but the Doctor can't see any reason, so it must be because I'm not getting enough sleep, just a vicious circle.

Well, you'd probably like to know how I worked on this one, I started it out wet in wet, I think you can still see some residue of that, some fuzzy edges still show up, and I painted on it with thicker paint while it was still wet, and just kept working on this with less moisture, while I was working, it dried to a point that I could put the crisp edges on and fine tune the detail, it does show a bit of the bleed over of some of the colors, but it's not bothering me, so that's the way it is. I like this little painting and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment