Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Painting #260 - Small class today, so I got a lot done

My students are all on vacation this week, just one showed up, so I really managed to get this painting done during class, I've attempted to paint this one before (it's not finished yet, the other one, that is), but got stalled and since my blogging started, I've not managed to get back to it, I'm not sure if I will stick with the same composition, though. In the other one, I decided to put in a couple figures working on a boat next to the small building on the left, and I'm not feeling the love for those figures yet. In my previous paintings, I've decided that I'm too literal with my compositions, that is, I think I'm too tied to the photo to change anything, now, however, I feel more confident that I can, but, since I've been doing these small ones, am I going to be able to switch back to the larger versions? Well, I will find out in a few months, I really am having a hard time realizing that this year is almost gone now, I'm totally amazed, it seems like I just started this project.

Well, here goes nothing, or I mean something. I started with the sky, I used sky blue (Am. Journey) and then floated the white right in while it was wet, that's my favorite way to make the clouds, then I did the foreground, wow, that's a reverse, and then the lighthouse, and finally the lake, I believe this is Lake Superior, I'm not sure which light house, I believe it's either Eagle Harbor, or Eagle River, I'm unsure. When that was dry, I jumped right in and started working up the lighthouse, this was really hidden behind a big bunch of trees, and I could barely see it, so, I decided to play down the trees and work up the lighthouse, now this may, or may not look like that lighthouse, I did improvise where I couldn't see that well, then, I put those white things, what ever they are, in, and the railing to the water, the telephone pole had to go in since I wanted the wire to lead you to and from the building on the left side. Now, I did work a bit more on the foreground, but I really wanted to keep that translucent feel to it, so just didn't work it up quite as much, it was flat anyway. I really like this little painting and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment