Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Painting #253 - Oct 4 - I'm not going to say it!

Well, I think you know what I mean, and that's just the way it is, can't help it, I think I'm a night owl. I worked on this painting today in class, but I didn't get it done, so, I was going to come right home and get right at it and get it done, well, I didn't, and I guess there isn't any excuse, so no reason to explain why I didn't.

This painting took me a lot longer than I intended, I worked on it for about an hour in class and then I have about 3 hours when I got home, don't know if it's that I'm finally getting filled up with rocks and water or what, but it didn't go as quickly as I thought it would, I thought I would be able to finish it in an hour, and that didn't work. Oh well, I got it done, and that's what counts, I'm looking forward to getting in the studio tomorrow, I want to finish that oil I was working on yesterday, don't know if it will be dry enough to work on yet, but I just want to try, I'm anxious to get it done and out of the way, I was going to try to get a painting done for the Park show, but that didn't pan out, now I'm going to work on something for the Ella Sharp (a local, well relatively local)competition, I would like to get in it this year, that show leans a bit modern, and I don't know if my work will make it, I'm a bit traditional, well, except for the opaques that I've been using lately, that's not really traditional.

I started this painting by laying in the green at the top, and then I worked on the rock area just below them, then I moved to the other rocks, which let me find the water. Then, I put in the darker part of the water, as with most of these, I've been using a lot of neutral tint by Lucas, that a very interesting purply brown, added to the gray it really makes a nice rock color, of course that's not the only color that I use, can't make the rocks all the same color, too boring, but it is the color I usually lay them in with. after that, I worked up the trees with several layers of different greens in the shape of the forward leaves, then put that shadow green by Shinhan (love that color, it is so dark and lucious), in the darker areas, and then moved around with a watered down version so it wouldn't bee too dark, the rocks gave me a bit of trouble tonight, I just couldn't get into them, maybe tomorrow I'll figure out something else, so I don't have to do the rocks for a while, any way, I finished the water by making the water movement with darker colors alternating with the lighter colors, then white on top to make the foam, then I finished it off with some indication of tree limbs on the background trees and it's done, I like this little painting and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment