Sunday, October 2, 2011

Painting #251 - Oct 2 - Another late start

Here we go again, I think I must like being tired from staying up too late, it's technically the 3rd now, but this is my painting for the 2nd, I have multiple reasons for being late today, the major one is, it's husbands day, we got a late start for the shopping today, then out to eat and then over to my daughters (had to check out some school fund raiser thing for Mr. Ryan), so, we get a bunch of stuff that maybe we could get along without, but if it helps the school projects, that's good, so we got something, well, not yet, but we did order it.

I was going to do another lighthouse view of Big Sable, but, it didn't make me feel good, so, off it came, and on with this pear still life, remember I told you I'd be doing another one, this particular one, if you couldn't figure it out, was taken just after the other one (I think I did the apple pear study, day before yesterday), and I mean by that is that I had decided to cut the pear in half and then quarters, well, I chose to take a couple photo's, I really liked the pear center so I cut it in half and laid the others on the plate with the peals, now remember this is red pears, and those apple pears (I cut them both at the same time, that was my lunch), those strange little things on the other side of the knife are the centers of the quarters that I cut out.

Now, mind you, this was a bit tricky, since I had started the painting as a lighthouse, and then wiped it off, so I had to make my lines dark enough to find my pear shapes and the plate, once that was all drawn on (I did it with the brush and paint, I don't usually draw on these unless I feel I really need to be precise), well, as the paint got laid on, the lighthouse became lost, and the pears and knife became found, I did get really opaque with this one, since there was an underneath color, where I wanted white, I really had to lay in the paint. If you notice, I tried to show the texture of the table cloth again, I textured it with some line work to make it look like a weave, I could see the table cloth texture and I wanted it to feel like a table cloth so that's why, I only did it in the lower half, the top one was much darker and I didn't want to draw your eye they, hopefully this worked.

I floated in the table cloth colors, and got that how I wanted it, then I jumped in with local colors for the pears and the plate, since it was really kind of dark for this one, I chose to play that down pretty much. I love the contrast of the pears on the plate, and the gray/green/blue shadows on the white flesh of the apple pear that was quartered on the plate, the 1/2 pear is a red pear, but all you can see is just a very thin line of red, but it's enough, I'd like to tell you how this progressed but it's pretty complicated, love playing with those just slightly off white colors, grays, greens and blues to indicate the shaded flesh of that fruit, I don't know if you can see it or not, but that 1/2 pear really almost looks wet, I like this little painting and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment