Friday, October 7, 2011

Painting #256 - Oct 7 - A simple little still life tonight

Running out of energy again tonight, so I decided to gather a couple little things (love chickens and marbles), so I decided to do this simple little set-up with chickens and marbles. The marbles were my Father-in-laws (I personally never got to meet him, he passed away before I became his daughter-in-law), but they knew I loved the marbles so they gave them to me, I have several jars, you did see one of the compositions with some of the jars several months ago, and the chicken basket was my Mother-in-law's, which I acquired after she passed away, and the chicken pitcher was given to me by my sister (she loves to shop for things she thinks you will like), so this is a special little set up.

I really didn't take a lot of time with this one, have about 2-1/2 hours in this, but I finished the oil painting that I was helping a friend with, and I worked on a couple of other oil paintings, sat for a couple of hours at the Hillsdale Art Guild's show today, and got my blog painting done, so I'm about whipped and ready for bed, so this will be a short one.

I drew the shapes of the pitcher, basket and marbles, then went in and mixed purple and neutral tint for the background, and it didn't get dark enough, so I added black to that mixture to darken it a bit more, it looks dark here, but really, it's not that dark. then I started with the chicken pitcher and moved down to the basket, the ribbon on the basket is really not nearly as difficult as it looks, it's all just fudged, and that includes the basket, I just laid in the shapes of the splines and the made sideways strokes to indicate the weft of the basket (I'm sure that isn't the correct terminology, but, you get the picture, I've never made baskets, and I'm sure I never will, even though my Great Grandmother did make baskets, just don't have enough time), the marbles and the ribbon on top of the basket chicken were last. I like this little painting and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment