Monday, June 6, 2011

Painting #133, it was a demo tonight

My watercolor society asked me to do a presentation tonight, I decided that they probably had seen most of my styles of watercolor, but, I was sure they hadn't seen a demo on clayboard, some of them had purchased some, and some had used acrylics on it, but I demoed the opaques (gouache), on this particular surface, I think I chose correctly, I was a very nice demo, even though it was a relatively small group, but I didn't feel it was horribly small, I've given demo's for much smaller groups. Anyway, I had a good time and I really got a lot of nice comments on my blog paintings, I took them all, all 132, that was a lot, I know, but I wanted them to get the feel of how many that really is, there were 3 boxes (all matted), and a small group of oil paintings, the watercolor society probably wasn't as thrilled to see the oils, but, they were part of my blog, so I included them.

I got a late start with this today since I waited to do the whole demo at the club meeting, so, I got to paint on it for about an hour and a bit more, then when I got home, I finished it, I only worked on it another 2 hours, that's slightly over 3-1/2 hours total and it was an 8" square, so I feel that's pretty good, I kept it fairly simple so that I could get more done during the time alloted me, well, obviously, I didn't finish it, but I think several will check out the blog now, maybe I'll get a few more followers, hope so.

This painting is on clayboard, I laid in a wash of sky, a mix of sky blue and coastal fog (American Journey colors, Cheep Joe's brand), and some purple, that was darker than I wanted, so I added some white and floated it on, and I do mean floated, lots of water, I wanted them to see how the clayboard absorbs the paint a little bit at a time. Then the tree line, then the bushes and brush along the marshy area in the back, now, you realize this is just a beginning wash, just to give the clayboard a tooth, the water was next and the scum on the top and then the bunch of brush in the middle, and finally the foreground water, then it was fine tune everything, kind of hard to explain all of it, as it just progresses, I work here, and then I work there, until it pulls together, and when I can't think what else to do to make it better, I calls it good! I like this painting and I sure hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment