Saturday, June 18, 2011

June 18, blog painting 145 - wedding today

I just want to let you know, the wedding was wonderful, they are still partying, I just had to leave, first off, my ankles look like balloons, secondly, I needed to get this posted, after all, I did plan for this, so I had another extra painting, since I figured I wouldn't have time to paint, well, guess what, I did paint today, of course it's because I managed to get to Michael's Art store today, and I bought stuff, and so I decided to come home and work with it, I am still working on the other one, I will work on it here directly, but since it is getting late, I thought I would blog this first, I had to start another one, I bought some watercolor canvas, and it just screamed, "Paint me", well, I got the first layer on before we went to the wedding, now, the wedding is done, and I'm comfortably back in the motel so, you will probably see this one in a day or two, I'm so excited to do this, so, before I get lost in the new painting, I'd better get started on the one that I prepared for today.

This painting is of a grist mill, somewhere in Tennessee, I didn't take this picture, I borrowed it from someone that wanted one painted (it was a commission some 15 or 16 years ago (maybe more), I got a black and white copy (don't remember where I went to get it), anyway, I liked the way the picture looked, so, I decided that I might paint it again, and this is the 3rd one, I painted it in pastel, for me, about a year after I did the first one.

This is painted on the clayboard with the opaques & I started out by drawing the mill, then the background went in, I indicated some tree shapes and made the shadows come slanted so that it looked like a hill, then the middle ground and finally the foreground, I think by now you pretty much know how I work, after that was dry, I started to fine tune the background, and I moved around and kept fine tuning it until it suited me, I like this little painting and I sure hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment