Thursday, March 31, 2011

Painting #66 and then some

I am so excited, I finished my blog painting, which you will see here directly, and after my last student left, I started an oil painting, remember I said I was going to do an oil painting workshop, well, I started it tonight, I have about an hour or so in this painting, it really needs some fine tuning, but it really is fun, I've taken oil painting workshops before, but it was always the old masters way, smooth, using mediums. This was pretty much straight out of the tube and right now it has rough edges but I'm loving it, I finally got the hang of the way to get it when I was half way through, there is this really neat flow blue bowl in this composition and boy, I nailed it, without the real detail, love it, I can hardly wait to finish it tomorrow. I don't have a photo of it yet, so you will have to wait.

I really like this little watercolor, I used the clayboard again, and that really seems to work for me doing these waterscapes. I start by laying in a thin layer of paint the local color, that's green for the trees and gray for the rocks and blue gray for the water (there is a tiny little bit of sky, and I jambed that in on top of the green, kind of last min). After that was dry, I started to put in the detail, I got another layer on the trees and didn't fine tune them until the last, this time, I really got in to the water, I usually start in the back and work forward, but this time I started with the middle water and worked my way forward, then the back water, and the trees in the background again. Once that was set, I started on the left hand corner and put in the trees that are leaning over the water, then the branches over the other stuff, some are dark and some are light, then I put some tree trunks in the background and put some branches in there as well, the last was the forground shale bank where the trees are falling over, I really enjoyed this painting, and sure hope you do to.

1 comment: