Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Painting 36, only 329 to go, Yes!

Well, I must be feeling better, I made it to work today, and painted, and taught, hopefully, my students feel that way too, I am really looking forward to getting up in the morning and feeling like a human being, a week and a half of feeling cruddy is long enough. I know this painting is a different kind of composition, if you look at a couple of the others and see them together, you will see that the pictures I took overlap, I think the composition is ok, the other two are a bit better, the focal point is more prominent, but I see the light behind the trees and the foreground puddle (that dark hole in the foreground) with the dead pine needles is pretty good, it took me longer to paint this one than the other two, of course one of the reasons is that I painted on that paper (the one I thought was Arches cover, well, seems I was wrong, it's Waterford, I'm not sure if it's print making paper or watercolor paper, don't remember ordering Waterford for watercolor so I'm thinking it's print making paper), it's really smooth and doesn't warp much, and it's torn in a much larger size than the 6-1/2" square ones I ripped from the mural paper, they are about 7-1/2 inches, which takes a bit longer to paint, and I had to re-figure the matting project, they take a narrower mat in order to get the whole painting in, oh well. I'm still painting with the opaques, I've even taken them to class, they may find their way into my regular palette, I've been keeping these paints pretty wet, they haven't had much time to dry out. I painted in the sky (the golden color) and then charged in with the green for the pines, then I laid in the gray rock color and started defining the layers of rock. The trees were defined before I got much farther, I laid in some lighter green and some darker green and then jumped in with the dark and light colors for the trunks (some light and some dark), and painted around the light areas, I got that about as done as it is and then started laying in the rocks at the top, I put the golden color in for the pine needles and then kept fine tuning the rock ledges for shape and shadow, the puddle (there are really two, can you find it), and at the very end, I put in the actual pine needles in the foreground (in the background they are just color), but in the foreground they are actual lines to indicate pine needles, I like this one and sure hope you like it too. Got to get some z's, so better make this short.

No comments:

Post a Comment