Sunday, March 13, 2011

48 days , I'm happy to paint

I painted today, a little here and a little there, finally got really into it about 8:00 p.m., I'm doing ok, but still a bit tired, of course, it could be this stupid time change, it usually takes me 3 or 4 weeks to adjust, I tend to stay up too late (my internal time clock), of course my husband doesn't believe in going to bed until at least 12:00 a.m., I don't know how he can do it, he never gets more than 4 or 5 hours of sleep, I can't do that, I'm needing at least 6-1/2 to 7 hours every night, I can manage 6-1/2 for a few days but it really starts getting to me, it's a good thing I don't have to get up earlier than 8:00, enough of that.

This painting started wet in wet, it doesn't have sky so it's green, yellow and orange with purple, I love the purple with the greens, yellows and orange, of course, if you add purple to yellow or orange, you get browns, purpley browns, but browns, just what I needed. the water was laid in with a grayed down blue to start, I then started working up the foliage on the trees, darker layers and some lighter for the highlights on the leaves, I put the tree trunks in with a very pale blue gray and then added the birch effect, dragging my brush sideways to get the texture and color. I really did the waterfall before I got too far with all the over-lapping brush along the sides, I see the water as farther away than the brush, since the brush has to go on top of the water, so, all except the very foreground water was done before I fine tuned the foliage and branches. I have really enjoyed painting these little waterfalls, this one happens to be along the north shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota, such a beautiful trip. It had been raining off and on for 2 days then on the way out (we went all the way up the the Canada and Minnesota Grand Portage, and hiked in to Devils hole). It started to sunshine on and off, this was perfect lighting. Now, the opaque white really comes in handy when making the foam and rushing water, love it, hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment