Monday, March 28, 2011

63 paintings, not bad

Well, I had a very busy day today, the mat cutter called me again, something about that, I'm petrified of getting behind, so I cut and cut and cut today. I only actually cut 7 or 8 mats, but I did cut the blanks (10" x 10" and the foam core), so, then when I need a specific size, it won't be so bad, I'll only have to cut the actual mat, I really got a lot ahead today.

I really wanted to oil paint, I'm taking an on-line oil painting workshop and I worked on getting the canvas ready, but, I didn't actually get time to paint it, I did get it all ready to work on tomorrow though, I'm sure hoping that I can get it done tomorrow, we'll see. While I was doing all that, I had to clean up a spot to work (I'm really bad about keeping my studio, it sure doesn't take long to get clogged up), now that I have a place to work, I think I can get it done pretty quickly, I'm only going to do 10" x 10", I'm possibly going to consider them for my blog, I'll have to check with the instructor to see if it will be ok to use them on line, but just in case he doesn't think I should, then I will make sure I get the watercolor painting done, I really don't know if I want to count it as the blog, since the instructor is providing the photo, I've been strictly using my own photo's for reference and I really feel good about that. We'll see. While I was cleaning, I came across a painting that I had started a few months ago, since I spent so much time cleaning and cutting mats, I decided to finish this one (it was about 1/3 done, I did do most of the work on it. It's almost the correct size so I think I can make it work.

This is a painting of Jeannie's Dinner in Coldwater, the Blue Moon Girls (me included) displayed paintings there for almost a full year, changing them out about every 6 weeks, and the first paintings we did were (of course) of Jeannie's Dinner, this is a similar painting to the one that I put in there and "Sold", I have done a couple of others, I really liked the format of this scene so I decided to do this small one one night at Blue Moon, well, some where in the shuffle, I missplaced it, now it's found and finished. It's done with opaques, the first wash was done with opera (a holbine color), I took a workshop with Donna Zagotta and she starts her paintings by outlining each area with the opera, then filling each one in with a thin wash of opera, so you end up with a very pink painting, then you start deciding on the colors and do each section until you get to the point that you can pull it together, that's one of the reasons that you see all that hot pink, you don't always cover every bit of it up, so this is a Donna Zagotta style painting, it was a lot of fun and I really learned a lot, she is a very good teacher.

I like this painting and sure hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment