Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day 55 and the 55th painting

This painting is done in pastel, I am going to be working with several mediums (mostly cause I can, but I used to strictly paint with pastels, lately, I've been painting watercolors exclusively), I have been working with acryloics the last couple of weeks (the workshop), and I will be working with them on my blog paintings, I'm scheduled to take a workshop in oils in May so, I'll be doing some blog paintings in oil, why not, right?

I'm so adjusted to the watercolor, and working with the clayboard, I can get so much more detail with these small paintings with that medium. Now that I have tried the pastel, I see that I will have to evaluate my choice of mediums for this project, I may not do this complicated of a piece in the pastels, especially when they are only 6-1/2 or 7", with the pastel sticks I found that it was a bit difficult to fine tune this one, but, this is the painting for the day.

There are multiple layers of pastel on this, I over lapped several colors to attempt making color variations, I started this out by giving my Waterford paper, which is pretty smooth, a coat of Ampersand pastel ground, I did this several days ago so it would be ready. Then I drew the building and after that I did an under-painting in watercolor, once that was dry I started application of the pastels, I started in the background and worked my way forward. I see several things that I would do differently, possibly re-doing this in watercolor, that may be an option, I will continue to try to find something that the pastels will work with, I hope you like this painting, I did this painting in oils a couple years ago and sold it, I think I may do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment