Thursday, March 3, 2011

38th painting, what a day!

I'm back to work, taught today, I got this one started but didn't get it completely done, took an hour, just finished it, the paint is barely dry, whew! This photo reference was taken in January about 3 years ago, it wasn't as hard a winter as this one has been, we here in Michigan are really getting tired of the snow, ice and cold, and it sure seems like it should be spring, March, should start to warm up soon, sure do hope so, even though I do love to paint the snow.

This painting was all cool and dark brown except for the little building in the back, the only warm touch there was, so the class helped me decide on the color of the sky, I'm tired of the usual mauve or blue and decided to go with the yellow, I think it looks good, so yellow it is, I painted the sky first, of course, and then decided that the warmth should carry over to the background trees, so kept that warmth going, then the little splash of orange for the building and then the cool colors for the snow, I could have thrown in the yellow accents on the snow too, but thought that may be pushing it too much so decided to just go with the white and cool, of course this is done with those opaques again, can't give them up yet. The trees are a redish brown color (can't think of the name just now), then I jumped into the dark area behind the snow fence, I used a mixture of blue and brown and made some shadow area and then added some tangled brush, then I put the larger branches in and put some snow on them then when that was done, I put the snow fence in front of it, I'm pretty sure that was the only way I could pull it off, I think the foreground makes this, I laid in the shadows with the mauve/blue/white and then added white splashes for the sunlight spots, then the weeds, I really like this one, and think it's quite successful, hope you like it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment