Friday, March 4, 2011

Day 39, got a few more today

Well, today I had planned on painting another landscape, oops, guess that will be for tomorrow or Sunday, which ever it is, today is a floral day, I found a photo reference of geraniums, I started a geranium painting a while ago and then decided to collage it, and then it just sat, no enthusiasm, well, I decided to get started with a 4" geranium on the clayboard, as you know, the clayboard is a totally different kind of support and I decided right away to just go with the flow, I didn't try to get a lot of detail, first off, the detail is hard to see, have you ever tried to see detail in red (or yellow for that matter)? Well, the camera takes the shot and the red all seems to flow together, so I decided to just go with that, I like this little painting, I've been getting these 4" paintings all matted and framed, they sure look nice in the frame. So, here is the 4" painting.

Ok, now you remember a few days ago that I did a yellow hibiscus on that clayboard, and I also remember telling you that I wasn't totally happy with the way the paint moved on that one and suggested that I might try it on regular cold pressed Arches, so I did, I really think this one turned out a bit better, I do like wet-in-wet, I started this one that way, then once the paint was dry I started to put the detail on the petals, wet-in-wet, one petal at a time, then when that was dry, I decided that I needed to get the dark going in the background and punched that in, then once that was dry, I went in and put the finer lines in the petals and fine tuned the center, I basically put the stamen in with opaques, I forgot to put the masking fluid on to save the lights (and I do love those opaques anyway), so there you have it, I know it's the same design as the other one, but those are the breaks, I don't do that too often, so you can forgive me this one time. Hope you enjoy this one, I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment