Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Painting 37, been a short long day

I worked on this painting off and on all day, I originally started it a couple days ago, and in the interim have painted 3 others, so decided it was time to finish this one, this is on the clayboard, I'm thinking that is what slowed me down with it, since I've been having trouble getting gradations (soft edges) with this support, I like it because it is so smooth, when you want very fine detail, it's great, well, this one has such large rocks it really gave me a time trying to figure out how I was going to approach it, as you can see, it did all work out. I'm very happy with this painting, it was fun to get the finishing touches on (my favorite part), and once I got painting, it went really well, this location is in North Carolina, this was an amazing place and I'd go again, in a heart beat.

I laid in a wash of light beige and brown with some gray (I also added some purple too) in it for the rocks, the water is prussian blue with some dark brown thrown in and a bit of black, in some areas, I pretty much left the white with out paint at first. The second layer was to start at the top with the far away water and rocks and move forward, as I got to the large rocks at the top, I laid in some darker brown and worked back and forth with the grayish color and the brownish color until I got a rock shape that suited me, I then worked on the large group of rocks (or boulders) in the middle, doing the same, back and forth with the grayish and brownish colors, darkening the shapes where it was needed, the water was put in with the bluish mixture and I made wave actions in the foreground water, then the figues on the large rock in the middle, last was putting the white in to look like the water was splashing and running over the rocks, I really do like this painting, hope you do to.

No comments:

Post a Comment