Friday, April 1, 2011

Painting #67, it was a struggle

This painting is a bit different, I decided to attempt to use my Dr. Ph. Martin's Liquid watercolors, I've had them for several months now, I attempted to play with them when I first got them, but have just been sitting since. Well, I thought I should get back into the transparent watercolors a bit, so I decided to see if I could make them work. For some strange reason, I decided to try this photo, well, I did struggle with it, all those bricks, I worked on it off and on all day, finally got it to a point that I felt it was as done as I could make it, I'm not as fond of it as I am of the waterfalls and the other water scenes, but you just can't paint water everyday, sooner or later, I'm going to run out of water photo's, so today I painted bricks, I think this is an interesting picture because of the hole in the wall, and the stuff that's growing inside the old building. This photo was taken in Bellevue, MI, it's an old furnace used to make bricks, they said it was where the bricks for the State Capital were made, obviously it's not still in use and is falling down, I really like scenes that you can look through and see things on the other side, although this looks pretty much the way it was, I believe that may need some other interest to pull you in, I'll think about that and decide if I will put something else in it or not, if I decide to, I'll let you know, I'll post it.

I'd like to explain about these watercolors, they come in bottles with eye droppers, so I didn't want to mix them in with my other watercolors, so I used a paper plate and put them by drops around the plate, then when I was mixing I used the center, that was where most of the paint went, as I used it up, I kind of just kept mixing other colors where I needed and used up the color that was there, so the colors all kind of got mixed together a bit, so none of the colors went on pure.

I started with the sky, wet in wet, then a thin wash of a mixture of cobalt violet (this cobalt violet is much darker than the stuff in the tube), and yellow ochre and a bit of indian red, when all that was dry, I put the green in the center hole. When that was dry, I started to fine tune the bricks a bit, I took my flat brush and started to make brick shapes, thinly, then I put some darker color green in at the bottom of the window area and put some darker shapes in for some tree limbs, I added a bit of orange to give it a bit more color, and put the tree coming over the top of the brick wall. When that was dry, I took my small round brush and put sompe pinkish color between the bricks, after that I darkened the part of the wall that was at the top behind the wall with the roof attached, to give it depth, then with the liner brush, I put some cracks in the bricks, that was pretty much it, I'm still looking at this painting, but it's as done as I can do just now, hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment