Thursday, April 14, 2011

Painting #80, still need more sleep

This should be it, I almost have that paper work done, have an appointment in the morning to get that done, so I'm cool, but now I have to do this blog, this painting is a splash painting, I was testing some paper and decided to put some colors on the paper, then decided to make it flowers, so these flowers are made up in my head, utilizing the colors that were on my paper, kind of fun, if you don't get all tied up in a knot because it doesn't look like a specific flower, these flowers kind of look like a poppy/sunflower hybrid, hope we never grow one of these, they kind of look scary, lots of fun though, I used mostly transparent colors, up until I got home from class today, I had the opaque palette on the table so that's the one I used, otherwise, I'd have had to take it over to the studio to finish it, I don't want to haul the traveling studio over here, it's a bit bulky, you realize, I have to have everything in it, just so you can visualize this, it's in one of those rolling fold up carts (square), and on top of that I have one of those plastic crates, now, I can get pretty much anything I want in there relating to watercolor, and then some, so, since I'm working so small the last couple of months, I've pared it down a bit, but I'm ready for almost anything with that set-up.

Now, since this painting was a free form to start with, you have to look pretty hard to see the flowers, at first, once you see them, I negatively paint some areas behind the flower part and decide what color to make the background, then the leaves, once that is done, I start in the middle and work my way out, since these bunches of flowers were so close together, I had to really work hard to make them look like a flower, I think it works pretty well, I fine tuned the petals by painting some lines on the petals, and I had these funny looking centers, so I decided to ramp it up a bit, I like the centers of these flowers, even though they kind of look like poppy centers, but the yellow and magenta/pink/purple, really go well together, some of this painting is really under the matt, I cropped it down to fit my 10" matt, even though I did compensate for it being a bit larger than 6", so I only put a 1-1/2" mat on it, almost all the others have 2" matts. I think this flower painting was fun and I like it, do you?

1 comment:

  1. I love the fushia with the yellow. I hope some of these types make it to the Open Door Gallery.

    ReplyDelete