Monday, April 4, 2011

Pretty Cool, painting #70

This painting is one that I started yesterday, it was a busy day today, lots of things to get done, and then I had SWMWS (watercolor meeting), I had to transcribe the notes from last months minutes, and then I finished the painting, well, not exactly finished, I had about 20 min. of fine tuning to do when I got home, I had to put in the tree trunks and put in the foam on the water.

I started this one with the sky, a bit more purple than my usual sky. Then the trees and rocks that bring the water forward. The water is a mixture of blue, very light gray, a bit of green and lots of white, this gives me a nice greenish water base that I will enhance with bits of darker and lighter at a later time. I then worked up the trees a bit more, when they were so my satisfaction, I then worked up the rocks, I know what you are going to say, black, so dark, but that was the feel of this landscape, I get the impression that these rocks were from some volcanic era in the past, at any rate, they were dark, much darker than I even put them in, I started with purple/gray mixture, then added some blue for the highlights, then jumped right into the black to make the rocks dark enough. I started to work up the water then, of course it's the focal point, so I really enjoy this part, it's the part that makes me smile, love painting the water. I did bring it up to a point, not quite white where the water splashes, so that when I got home I could put the finishing touches on it. I really like this painting, sure hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment