Sunday, April 3, 2011

69 days, I was tempted today

It was a very close call, I wasn't sure I would be able to get this painting done, I actually started 4 (so much easier to start them than finish them), I was kind of lazy today, then the grand kids came, then dinner, then shopping (and ice cream), so, I was pretty wiped out, very tempted to not paint (or rather finish) one today, and then catch up tomorrow, but, I was good, I got out there and painted, this little scene caught my eye, love the oddness of it, just everyday stuff, I've painted this one once before, I did it in pastel (that's all I used to paint), then watercolor grabbed me, and so I'm hooked. I decided to use my regular opaque watercolors today, the liquid ones are ok, but I'm so used to the others that it seems easier, and it's on the clayboard (I did start one today on regular paper).

I started out with the sky and background trees, I laid the purple/blue/gray mixture in for the sky and then jumped right in with the darker gray/brown color for the background trees, I did make a very light blue wash for the far snow and then started to lay in the grassy color and some blue for shadows, the trailer was kind of neat, it is a color by Holbine and is very unique almost yellow but with a touch of reddish cast to it with lots of white, it's called Juan Brilliant (I am very bad about the spelling of some of these colors, I can't even begin to remember how to spell it, you can find in in the list of colors though), then the rusty oil tank, very cool, and the fence posts, then I attacked the small building on the left, I really meant for it to just be a dark color but I put it in too far from the edge so I had to give it a side and a roof edge, but it's ok, I think it works, the foreground was just a bunch of curved shapes in the grass color, then I went in with some blue for shadows, I went in at the very end and put in the tree branches on the top right and finished off with a bit of negative painting in the foreground, not as much as I usually do, but I think this little painting works, I like it and I sure hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment