Monday, May 2, 2011

Painting #98 one of my favorite places

This is from a photo taken on a trip we took to the North Shore of Lake Superior a few years ago, this is either just before Split Rock Lighthouse or just after, very close, if you've never taken that road and driven along the North Shore going out of Duluth, you will be amazed. You will find so many things to paint, falls that come right out of the rocks along the highway, and if you follow it, it goes way back, and then you come to Gooseberry Falls, wow, you will not believe that place, I just can't explain the wonder of it all. I took so many photo's that I had to get more storage space, I was using a camera that used 3-1/2" floppy's and I had 20 with me and had to buy another 20 to store all the photo's I took, and I was even downloading them onto the laptop as we went, all I can say is, you should go see it for yourselves.

This painting is done with the opaques, but I painted it on paper, so the sky and water were wet in wet, I tried to add the far coast line with the darker blue, but it melted together too much, so after I got the trees in I went in with wet on dry and added another small strip to indicate the coast. I waited for that to dry and then painted the headland in the middle, I fine tuned that before I went into the trees in the foreground, then the reflection, after that was dry, I painted leaves on the foreground trees, opaque Naples Yellow then some burnt sienna to add the brownish look to the leaves and some green, then I fine tuned the tree trunks, once that was done, I jumped into the foreground brush and got that looking good, I like this little painting, and sure hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment