Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Painting #107, getting in late again

Well, what's new about that, I'm supposed to be getting ready for an oil painting workshop I enrolled in and I haven't prepared one canvas, I like to have at least 3 prepared, I can pretty much work on 3 at one time, this is a portrait workshop, I have several I need to work on, so it will be good, I do have a couple that need to be finished and I will probably take them along.

I will probably be making this a short note today, running on empty and need to get to bed, I didn't get to my painting this morning, should have but didn't, finished that book though, glad I'm done with it, but, it was a good book.

This painting is 8" x 8" today, and I'm matting it to 12" x 12", I had class in Sturgis today and the girls wanted to do pansies, I know, I just did one, but, since that was what we worked on, you will have to put up with it. This one is done on the clayboard, whereas the previous one (last weeks), was done on watercolor paper, so the look and technique is different, the clayboard is so smooth, it doesn't really get very clear until you have several layers built up and the paint starts to get thick, expecially with the opaques, I do like painting on it with the opaques, I don't know if I'd like it as well with the transparent watercolor, maybe sometime we'll have to give it a try. I started out painting the pansy colors, first one then another, when they were painted, I put some green in for leaves, at this point I didn't have any background, I decided on that when I got home to finish it. I actually worked on 2 tonight, I worked on small one for the girls, and while they were painting theirs, I painted on the clayboard, I don't have them working on the clayboard, it's a difficult surface and I want them to figure out how to paint the watercolors before they even think about working that surface. I will have to work on the other pansy painting another time, I didn't take time to finish it tonight since I was running so far behind. I didn't eat supper until I got home, it was after 9:30 p.m. and so I didn't get to working on this painting to finish it until after 10:00, that's why. I decided to put in the background because working on the clayboard, it just seems like I should paint on the whole surface, maybe not, we'll try another time, I fine tuned the flowers and the leaves, and call it finished, I really like this painting, and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment