Wednesday, May 4, 2011

PAINTING 100! Wow, thought I'd never make it.

Another good day today, although I didn't get as much done as I intended, do you ever? I always think I can get more done than I really can, the only time that really gets tough is when you have a deadline and you wait until the last minute to do it, which I'm very good at. Or, I always underestimate how much time it will really take me to do it, always fun, oh well, hard to change old habits.

It was Blue Moon night, I took all my stuff to work on my blog painting (I didn't get to the painting until I got to Blue Moon), but, I didn't paint on what I thought I would, my dear friend Carol brought a basket of Pansies, so I really got excited to paint the flowers, I had planned on a landscape, but the flowers were a big pull. I really enjoyed these flowers, it was like painting plein air, I decided to not draw the pansies and just jumped in with the color, the first one I laid in was the white one, a bit difficult, if you think about it, white on white, but I got some very pale blue and added a bit of yellow ocher so it wasn't the same color all over for the shadows, then I started with the burgundy flower at the bottom, the one all folded up, and that was a lot of fun, so I just kept going until I had the burgundy ones all on the right side, then I decided to start adding green, I painted a light layer, trying not to fill the whole space in, I skipped around and made little lines and so on, so it would have spaces and character. then I decided to put the bud in on the left (you almost can't see it) and the purple ones at the top, then, I decided to start to fill in some negative spaces with a darker green and pick out stuff that was behind by painting it negatively, a tricky process, if you have't practiced, but it's one of the things I love, so I just moved around and picked up some darker colors where it was needed and I called this one done, it took about 2-1/2 hours, more or less, and I love it, hope you do too.

2 comments:

  1. Nice painting! Great job on painting the flowers and the colors you used! beautiful!...Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful painting. You really captured the beauty of the pansies. Definitely one for your portfolio.

    ReplyDelete