Sunday, May 8, 2011

Painting #104, busy day today, and special

Sure hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day, those of you who are Mothers, I did, saw both my children and all the grandchildren, got a rose bush and had breakfast made for me and served to me, wow, such a nice day.

My painting today was a bit rushed because of it, oh well, I'm still cleaning up some of those older paintings, so I chose one of those and finished it. Maybe you think that's cheating, but I painted on it for 2 hours, so I believe I did more than 1/2 of it, and it's finished so it counts.

I originally started this with transparent colors, I put masking fluid on the flowers and some of the leaves and stems, when the masking fluid was dry, I wet it all over and applied blue at the top left and then switched colors to pink then again to a yellow, while it was still wet enough to paint into, I decided to put some far away leaf shapes and tall grasses on it, this makes them fuzzy and that is like out of focus weeds, I let that dry. When I looked at it after it was dry, I felt the wash was a bit wimpy so I re-wet the paper and re-applied all the above colors, when it dried this time I was satisfied with the density of the wash. After the wash was dry I removed the masking and started to apply color to the white paper where the flowers and leaves were, the opaques came in about here, evidently, when I was teaching this, I got the flowers too dark, I really didn't get the highlight on the flowers as bright as I wanted it and the opaques helped here, I had added the clover on the left and it really needed a lot of help, I cleaned up the edges and fine tuned the flowers and leaves and now it makes me happy, I like this painting, and I sure hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment