Thursday, May 19, 2011

Painting #115, another oil today

This picture is a photo from my Grandmother's album, I believe it is family, possibly my grandmother's cousins, and I believe it was taken at a family reunion, around 1916 or so, just about flapper age, these girls just made me want to paint them, I like the way they are all connected, physically, and emotionally.

I didn't intend to work on one this large, but my small paintings were all too wet to work on, the paint was just sliding around so I pulled this one out, I had started it about 3 years ago, it's been sitting on the back burnner for several reasons, mostly, it takes such a long time to prepare the palette, then the paints dry out if you don't put them in the freezer when you are done, I really like the feeling of oil painting, I just have a hard time mixing and getting all ready and then the paint only lasts a couple days, so you have to plan the amount of paint you mix, so you don't waste it, my freezer doesn't have enough room in it to store the palette. When I said that I had started this one 3 years ago, it was one of about 8 that I got to the basic stage of the dark paint and the wipe out of the highlights, I did have a very minimal layer of flesh tone on the skin and the colors on the dresses, very light, the rest of it was done today, and I mean the whole thing was painted, quite an accomplishment, since it is a 16" X 20", a lot bigger painting than I've been painting, so, today was very intense, I really worked hard trying to get a similar likeness, there are some flaws in that, but since I am not pleasing anyone but me, I think it will be ok.

I re-worked the hands and that was an accomplishment too, like I said this was completely re-painted today, I deliberately didn't fill in the faces too much, first off, the photo I used was an old brownie photo, black and white of course, and you surely know what those look like, I scanned it into the computer and enlarged it to 8 x 10, but that doesn't leave much detail and the light was so bright and the darks so dark that I had to interpret most of what I did put in there, so this was an interesting project, I relly like this painting and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment