Saturday, May 7, 2011

Painting #103, very interesting day

What a day, I've had a very interesting afternoon and evening, the studio called my name about 12:30 and I've been at it pretty much since, it's 10:45 p.m. and I just got in with my new painting, I cut mats, again, and sorted through a bunch of old class projects, cropped paintings, coated paintings with gesso (only the ones that were not interesting enough to fix up), I still have a few to do, but all in all I think it was a great day.

I've decided that I must clean up some of the class project paintings that have been in my bag for months, if not years, I'm really good at starting them, and unless it really grabs me, I'm bad about finishing them. I cropped a bunch, this painting is one that I worked on at Blue Moon about a year ago, after we watched a Shirley Travena video, I don't know how she does it (Shirley, that is), but I love her stuff, even after watching the video, I can't do it.

We put up a bunch of little objects (they were all Susan's, since we were at Susan's house), when Shirley starts some paintings (sometimes she does this to get inspiration or just to practice), she picks up each item one at a time and turns it and looks at it and starts painting while it's in her hand, so we decided to do that too. Tonight when I was working on this painting (it originally started out 1/4 turn counter clockwise, it was a vase with flowers but, a totally different vase than the one you see), I was painting some leaves, and turning my painting, when the blue dish (it wasn't blue at the time, it was white), and the vase jumped out at me, I believe I found a much better composition, I really like this one, I couldn't leave my hands off it. I added another pitcher, and the brush was sitting there waiting for me to paint it. I had a blue blob in the middle of the table, and decided to make it sunglasses. This painting is quite a different approach than my usual style, but a lot of fun, I really like this painting, and hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment