Thursday, May 5, 2011

Painting #101, thinking gets you in trouble sometimes

Thought this one would be fairly easy, so, I decided to give it a try, I love the play of light on all the foreground objects, I did really well with the milk can, and the fence wasn't a problem, but I sure did have trouble with that tractor tire. Thought it would be so easy since it was just put in the shadows, well, don't know how I did, but I messed up on the tire treads right away. I struggled to get them right and they aren't totally right yet, but it's as close as I can get it. I think it looks fairly well, but I don't think I'll do a tractor tire like this one again. I do like it though.

I coated this paper with gesso at the same time I did the one I painted yesterday, it is done with the opaques, primarily translucently, but I did get into the opaques pretty heavy right at the end, I put in the trees in back and the grass, I painted around the fence and tire and then when that was dry, I started with the pale wash on the milk can and the tire then the fence, the detail was done at the end, the grasses and putting in the wires and tree branches in the back, then in the front I put in some weeds.

I love the composition and the eclectic collection of items. I did not pose this, this was taken on a photo trip with my friend in Indiana. She had a workshop at her home, one where she organized where we would go to take pictures, and we found this one by accident, after we took the photo's, we went back to her studio and painted one of the photo's we took, well, this one has been in my computer for a while, and I keep looking for something new and unusual to paint, well, today I decided that this one would be a good one, I do think it is, but it sure wasn't easy, but when things are easy, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be a success, and, on the other hand, when it hard it doesn't mean that it will be a success either, so you will have to decide, do you like it or not, I do, and I sure hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment