Saturday, May 28, 2011

Painting #124, busy day today

Not much of a painting day, but we were busy all day, so I didn't get to this early, plus got tired, now, my favorite show is on and I really want to watch, but will probably end up asleep, oh well.

This is just a simple composition, I like the hidden buildings in this, and decided to add a couple of people on the road, it just seemed to need a little something so I put them in, of course, Don Andrews would say they were too small and not to bother, but I kind of like them there so I'm leaving them. I had lost my photo reference for this one, well, actually, I have the photo in a note book, that I keep in my class travel studio, and currently, it's at the studio, and I didn't want to walk over there, so I just worked on it from memory, not a bad thing, I think it makes it less of a copy of a photo, more artistic, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I started this one as a class demo a while ago, stuff that didn't get finished, I have, in the past, chopped them up in smaller pieces and used them, but this time, I used the whole thing, it's not a large painting, so it really worked well for my blog. I have decided that I am going to attempt to finish a bunch of paintings that I have that have been sitting in my bag for a while, I just seem to start them and then the class moves on and I don't get back to them, so that's my intent, I think this will also round out my blog painting operation so that they aren't all the same exact size. I first thought I wanted them all the same size, but this has become limiting to me and I was feeling constrained by that. Now, I think I can kill two birds with one stone, get the blog painting done, and finish up some of the paintings that I have started, my bag was getting way to heavy anyway.

This started out as a transparent watercolor, that is what I'm teaching. I have been using the gouache a lot lately, and it is ok to add them on the transparent watercolors, if you are not just making corrections, the reason I say that is that if you use them, you have to use them on at least 1/3 of the painting to make sure it looks like that was your intent to begin with, and doesn't look like you just used it for corrections.

I really re-worked this one, it is on a paper that is a bit more slippery than my usual D'Arches, and the paint doesn't move on it as well as my usual watercolor paper, anyway, I like this little painting now, I and hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment