Monday, May 16, 2011

Painting #112, it's an oil portrait today

This was the first day of a 5 day workshop in oil painting, I'm sorry to say that I was on a mission, I had one ear on the teacher, and with the brush in hand, meaning I was painting as soon as I had my paint's mixed with the medium, and on the palette, I guess you could say that I didn't let any grass grow. I believe there is a bit of fine tuning to be done here, but, I really kind of like it the way it is. This is my sister, she had no idea that I was going to do her portrait today, I didn't really know either until a couple days ago. I have several others lined up and I'm hoping that I can accomplish getting one done every day, if I don't, then I will have to come home and get the watercolors out, but, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

Like I told you before, Michael likes to start the paintings out with an under-painting of liquin and yellow ochre (before you get to painting that you have to draw your subject so it's on under the yellow ochre and liquin), I had to cheat a bit, mine was started with acrylic because I didn't have my canvases prepared far enough in advance that they would be dry enough to paint on, also, after the layer of liquin, he has us apply a layer of burnt umber (I guess I didn't really read the list of stuff to do and didn't get a layer of raw umber, some did, I didn't), ah well, anyway, I gave it a semi-applied coat of burn umber (I mean that I didn't coat the whole thing since I wouldn't have been able to see my drawing (it kind of melted into the yellow ochre coat), anyway, I had a semi reasonable brown painting to amplify today, this particular photo of my sister was taken a couple of years ago, and I liked it, so I decided to paint this one today. I think it looks like her and I really like it, I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment