Sunday, November 6, 2011

Painting #286 - Nov 6 - A beautiful day, sunshine and warm

I was beautiful out today, it would have been a great day to paint outside, well, I didn't manage that, it is Sunday, after all, and the day that I spend with my Husband (all except when I have to paint my blog painting), since I don't want to spend a great deal of time painting. We usually do our shopping on Sunday, and then, sometimes we go out to eat, which we did today. I kind of keep it simple when I'm trying to spend some time with my hubby, so I pick a simple subject that can get done in a reasonable amount of time, thus, I chose flowers, I'm well acquainted with flowers, being a china painter, I've been painting them for over 30 years, there are several that I can just paint without reference material, I have painted iris without reference material, but today I did have a photo today, I love iris, and I love the rich color of this one, the sunlight made the highlights blue, I decided to stylize this one and to make it stand out, the contrast had to be stark, instead of dark, I decided to go white, since the flower was really dark.

I started out with just painting the underneath color, what you could call the middle value of this wine colored iris, I used orange and a red violet to make the body color, since the purple of this one was muted. I then put in the leaf shapes, and I liked the way it looked, so, I left the background white. I used the periwinkle blue for the blue highlights, and then, I added the Lucas color, Neutral Tint to darken the purple to make the darks, I really like this little painting, and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment