Saturday, November 5, 2011

Painting #285 - Nov 5 - Two days in a row of portrats

I didn't intend to paint this little girl two times, well, actually 3 times, you saw her a couple weeks ago, but today's painting was started yesterday, it's the one I started on paper and then decided to do one on claybord, so I was getting my things around to paint this afternoon, and that paper portrait was laying on top of my photo's and grabbed my attention, before you know it, my brush was in my hand and I was working on it again. Well, I couldn't stop, it just became my today's blog painting, it's slightly different from yesterdays, this one, she was looking down, the thing that put me off yesterday was that the shading on the face is so flat, but, today it didn't seem to make me crazy, I just kept painting, and smoothing, and painting and smoothing, this is a very similar process that I do when I'm working with my pastels, I don't think I can do the transparent watercolors doing portraits because I have to make so many corrections, I even had to make some corrections tonight after I thought it was done, I decided to take a photo of the painting with the photo I used, when I looked through the camera, the face was too wide, so I trimmed it up, I'd have a hard time explaining what I did, mostly because I kept working back and forth, when you work with opaques, you think it light enough and then you have to constantly make adjustments to lighten it up when it's dry, which sometimes work and sometimes don't, the reason for that is that the paint looks the right value when you're painting it, then it dries darker, I like this little painting now and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment