Saturday, September 24, 2011

Painting #243 - A step back in time

This painting is of Big Sable Point Light house, my husband and I went there on our honeymoon, I really didn't get good pictures, but this one appeals to me because of the composition. I don't know why, but I was always so obsessed with the details, that I took all close up pictures, I thought I was overlapping them but, NOT. I appreciate some of those close up pictures, but I wish I'd taken some of the whole view, instead of trying to get all the details, it would have been nice, however, I am progressing with what I have.

Since there is a small space between the house and the light that has trees behind, and you do see some sky, I painted that part first with with sky color, then I dipped into the green to lay some green in to indicate the leaves of the trees. I had sketched out the outline of the space with water, then laid in the sky and the green, so, then I painted the roof of the walkway between the keepers quarters and the light, I did put a wash of some Jaune Brilliant, mixed with a bit of white, on the brickwork of the walk way and the house, the paint is white but with age it had yellowed a bit, and I like the warmth of the off white, also, by putting some paint on the claybord, you give it a tooth, then the successive layers of paint lay more smoothly. I then concentrated on the doorway and steps, once they were positioned, I painted the side of the light and put some indication of the windows on the keepers house, I really like it that you don't really see the whole part, it's fun only putting part of the building in. There was some adjustments that I had to make, I was painting along, then held it up and the painting was off kilter, so I adjusted the angle of the roof on the walkway and the side of the buildings which put it back in line. I worked back and forth until the buildings looked good to me, then I finished off the trees, I like this little painting and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment