Thursday, September 15, 2011

Painting #234 - Sept 15 - Another waterfall

You probably are getting tired again of the falls, but I haven't gotten tired of painting them, I had a couple of choices today, but this one is the one I chose. It was class day in Marshall, so, I wasn't sure how much time or energy I'd have to paint, I used a 5" x 7" Aquabord today, I've really enjoyed painting on that surface. This fall is, quite obviously, up north, either in the Upper Peninsula or along the North Shore of Lake Superior on the Minnesota side, I'm not totally sure, but I think this was either on the way in to see Devil's Hole at the Canadian/U.S. boundry, or somewhere close, along that drive or along the lake, some of these falls come right out so you can see them from the road, while others you have to hike back into. This was a spectacular fall, very tricky to get the whole thing in, we had to hike in a ways, and there was so much other stuff in the way, just tricky getting the full picture.

I started laying in the rocks on either side of it with a purple/gray mixture, then, the green for the trees in the background and along the right side of the falls (I didn't put the green in for the branches that were hanging down on the left until it was almost finished), then I put some blue in for the shadow for the falls, once that was in, I really got down to business with the rocks, and then the pool at the bottom, once they were pretty good, I went in with white and pulled some dry brush down to look like the water was splashing on the rocks. Then, I worked up the trees in the background, since they were not very detailed, that was very easy, then I moved on to the trees on the right and finally the trees hanging down. I really like this little painting and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment