Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Painting #232 - Sept 13 - Classes today

Very nice day, my friend and student, JoAnn, brought in a small set up, I mean, she brought in a small vase and some flowers out of her garden to paint on the spot, kind of like painting en plein air. So, I got out the 4" square claybord and did a small one in about 1/2 hour, now, mind you, this isn't detailed, but I like it. then, I did my serious blog painting, and it's the landscape, I'm very fond of painting falls and water so I chose this small close up of a little fall, I'm really not sure where it is, it could be in many places, but, I'm leaning toward North Carolina, mostly because it is a photo on regular photo paper done at a photo shop, not on my computer, so it was taken before I got into using a digital camera, and that means it was taken more than 15 years ago. Well, I did tell you that I've been taking photo's for a long time and I'm still using them, I do admit though, I've run through the ones that are my favorites, so that my choices are much smaller lately, I have to be inspired by the scene or object, in order to feel good about painting it, so I am going to have to take some pictures soon, I believe that after my blog obligation is finished, that I might use some of the photo's to paint some larger paintings, that would be fun, I'm going to try to continue painting everyday, but I may not finish one everyday, we'll see, I've been thinking what else I could do that would keep me painting.

The small floral was really done spontaneously, I just started with the flowers and dropped the colors in and then the small vase, and the green last, I really didn't think it was necessary to fine tune the flowers, I like them just the way they are.

The landscape was started with some purple/gray for the rocks at the top and the major rocks in the stream, I also laid in the green a bit, but no detail at this point. I then floated in the water with a gray/purple/green, kind of all mixed together to give a darker water color, and I avoided the white, then I just started at the top with the rocks up there, and started laying a lighter gray/purple, then went back in with darker color to give the rocks dimension, once I got those the way I wanted, I started to work on the water, the water has about 3 or 4 layers of different colors, lighter on top of dark and dark on top of that until I got to the light blue bits, and then the white, once the water was like I wanted it, I laid in the green in the shape of leaves and then went in with some darker green to help bring the leaf shapes out, then I put in a few branches, I like these little paintings and I hope you do too.


No comments:

Post a Comment