Thursday, September 1, 2011

Painting #220 - Sept 1 - Thursday Class day again

Well, this painting is a bit out of my comfort zone, I think it turned out ok, I may even have to do a larger one in oil, I think the skull will lend it self to oil painting really well, my reason for that is that it would blend really well. This isn't too bad but I think the oil would be very classy.

I took this photo last night of my niece's dear skull, she wants me to paint a hunting scene on it or a scene with deer on it or something, it's awaiting her decision on what to put on it. I've had it up in my painting/computer room for over a year.

I decided to do this skull painting (kind of like Georgia O'Keefe), but my own composition, because of the show we hung at the Tibbits yesterday. The Theme of the show is "Bare bones and a Full Moon", when we decided on that, I had no idea in my head what I would paint, I had a painting I did for the paranormal show a couple years ago, and a barn with the moon, but I decided I should have 3 so I thought of that skull upstairs and decided to find something to put with it to make a composition, the turkey feather my husband brought me, seemed to fit and I thought the geode would suffice for the full moon, I kind of like it with the geode, so this is my 3rd painting for the show, I painted it on a 5" x 7" Aquabord (Ampersand surface), and it's painted with the opaque watercolors, I did have fun painting it. I decided on the purple/gray background since there were some warm shadows on the skull (which I really kind of amplified to give it a bit more color), and the gray brown color of the feathers, the geode was basically gray but I decided to put the aqua in for another added interest, I like this little painting and I hope you do too.



No comments:

Post a Comment