Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Painting #218 - Aug 30 - Just checking, maybe getting Old timers desease

When I went into my paint program to set my photo of this one up, noticed that I already had saved yesterday's as Aug 30, duh! I guess I'm loosing it, I know today is the 30th and why did I think yesterday was the 30th, and the number for the one the day before was wrong too, so I was really off, I changed the name on those, and, I hope that I got this straight now.

This painting was started in class today, These Tiger Lily's were behind my old house, I'm not sure if they are even still there, renters tend to think they have the right to change what ever they want, I don't remember doing stuff like that when I was a renter, at least not without asking the Landlord before I did it. Even so, I did get some nice pictures of them, I did a painting in pastels a long time ago, and this is the first since, that I've attempted. When there are so many blossoms all growing together like this, it makes it difficult to keep them straight, I think this one reads ok, I did have to just fudge some of the shapes in the background though. I have always thought these were Tiger Lily's, but my friend Edith thought they were a variety called Turks Caps, but we have since determined the difference, the darker stamens are the Tiger's and the lighter ones are the Turks.

When I started this one, I just went in and put the orange for the blossoms, the green stem and then leaves, when that was laid in I put the stamens in (the best I could), and went right into the dark for the background, I really wanted to punch up the contrast. After than it was a matter of determining what colors would work best to get the shadow, and then the dots for the petals, I had some reds added to the orange to punch up that drama, but there were also some very muted violets that I put in to help with the softer shadows, all in all, I like this little painting, and I hope you do too.


No comments:

Post a Comment