Sunday, August 7, 2011

Painting #195 - Aug 7 - another late day

Like I said, story of my life, I probably could have had this done sooner, but got caught up watching a cute movie, so, I had it about two-thirds done and just finished it up, I don't know if these are morning glories or if they are something else, they appeared on my fence (they seem to be trying to take over, my blue morning glories didn't do as well this year, but these ones, look great, of course they want to cover the climbing rose bush, but maybe I'll try to figure out where else to put them, right now, they look good to me. The sun was shining brightly, I think I captured that, so on with this.

I sketched them in with watercolor (the flowers), and aimed the centers so I knew what was where, then I floated in the medium green, I did work on the flowers a bit then I started the negative painting in the leaf area. As I started to figure out some of the shapes, I started to fine tune them and make them buds or leaves or what ever they looked like, now when I'm painting negative, I don't follow the photo very closely, I just let the under-painting tell me where to put the darker shapes, this is the fun part for me, I love painting the negative, the stuff just appears, I forgot to mention that this is the opaque watercolors on the Ampersand Claybord. Finally, I go in on the flowers with white and soften the shadow shapes and put more blue in where the shadows don't show well, then, when those were done, I went into the bright yellow-green (I did add some white so it was lighter), and that helped to bring those buds into focus, I like this little painting and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment