Thursday, August 11, 2011

Painting #199 - almost to 200, can't believe it!

Wow, getting close now, I'm on the downhill side now, I have less to paint than are already painted. I felt like painting drippy today, well, not really drippy, but I chose this photo because of all the colors, how they melted together, and also because of the complimentary colors. I have been tempted to paint it several times, and I just decided that it felt right today. I really enjoyed this project today, it is Thursday, so, class in Marshall, I tried to keep it as loose as possible, that way I would still have time to move around and help the girls, I have 5 regular students in Marshall for watercolor, and that's about all the room there is, we share Edith's kitchen (which is very kind of her), so if there were more, it would be hard to fit them in, I could stand, I guess, but I'm sure I'd get tired of that soon enough, I did do that at first, but since I'm doing the blog, the paintings I work on are small, and that seems to fit alright at the end of the table, I feel like a queen with her court, I point and tell and they do, sometimes I show them what I mean, and they all crowd around the table, Pat likes to stand there and watch what I do a lot (I think its because then she doesn't have to figure out what to do, or where to paint what, on her painting, well, not really, but she does like to watch. When I was a student, I liked to watch too, that was how I learned to china paint.), lol.

Well, the grape photo was taken at Meijer gardens in Grand Rapids. My friend Carol and I went there one afternoon, we hadn't been there before, so we decided we should see what all the fuss was about, and it was a lot of fun, we did kind of push it time wise, we were running (almost), to get back before they locked us in for the night. we didn't get to see the gardens but the sculptures were marvelous. Some of the koi that I painted are from that pond there.

The grape color (blue) was what I jumped into first, then the purple, well not purple, its really more like permanent magenta, then, I dropped in some green and some yellow ochre along with some purple on the grapes. I then floated in some darks around the leaves and started to fine tune the grapes by adding some lights and some darker blue, the rest was just adding more of the splotchy colors on the leaves and some spattering, and then just put in more highlights on the grapes and finally I added some neutral tint to some spots in the background, I like this little painting, and I hope you like it too.



No comments:

Post a Comment