Monday, January 23, 2012

Painting #364 - A quiet day, not much happening

Everyone needs those days once in a while, I should have really jumped in and painted a bit more, I did paint, but not as much as I should have, tomorrow is the last blog, I hope you can keep me in mind, I plan on doing something, just not totally sure what yet, I'm hoping that I'll be able to figure out what it is I want to do. I've tossed around a couple of different ideas, I have lots to do, I'm scheduled to have a show of some of these blogs at the Carnegie Center for the Arts in Three Rivers, that's scheduled for August, Sept. and Oct., I have lots to do to get ready for that, among those things is a lot of matting and framing along with some painting, since I don't want the show to be just the small paintings that I've been painting, I'm tossing around figuring out the best ones and possibly having one of those books made up, wow, wouldn't that be neat, so, I'm still thinking and I will be painting, so maybe I'll keep you apprised of how those things are coming along, I also thought about a weekly painting, but then I'm still thinking about that one, since some paintings, especially the large ones, take longer than a week, and I don't want to get myself in the same situation where I'm pressured to produce a painting, that should be a natural thing, my intention was to get a new habit to paint everyday, I would like to see if that has happened, and go from there for now.

This painting is another of the 4" x 6" postcard size, on 300 lb. watercolor paper. I started it out with a wet-in-wet technique with acrylic, then I let that dry and got out the gouache and watercolors, did I mention that my palette is kind of a mixture of both, some of the paints are American Journey paints (Cheap Joe's), and they say transparent, but quite a few of those have white in them, and that makes them opaque.

In my original composition, I had left the birch tree, that crosses the river there in the foreground, out, well, I thought that spot looked so un interesting, that I put it in, so I got the gesso out and wiped out the watercolor paint, then laid in the gesso, when that was dry, I got out the palette knife and tried the palette knife technique again, I was quite happy with the result. The remainder of this painting was to just fill in the leaves of the trees hanging down and put the branches in, then fine tune the rocks and the water and, TA DA! Its a painting, I like this little painting and I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment