Sunday, January 15, 2012

Painting #356 - Jan 15 - the knitting is driving me crazy

I know, this blog is about painting, but, I'm knitting as a favor for my sister and the yarn she picked is horrid. It is that hairy stuff, you know, they call it fun fur or eye lash yarn, well, this yarn has such long eye lashes that it's tangling and causing me a lot of trouble, I've ripped it out over 5 times, I have to make this one scarf wider and longer for a special gift and I've about had it, I almost had 2 skeins done, and today I had to rip it out back to the first skein, I've had to take my time, picking out the lashes and counting each row to make sure that the stitches don't get dropped or increased, such a pain. Oh well, I'll get it, because I'm determined, but sure am not looking forward to the next one, there will be 2 scarves this color, the next colors are much better, I have one of those half done, while I was taking a break from the long lash stuff, well, better get on to the painting.

I was supposed to get this done early, but, I didn't get at it until 8:15 or so, I have about 4 hours invested in this one, I meant to make it a short one, but the photo that I decided to work from, required a bit more work, I didn't think it would, but it did. So, I really got into this one, I haven't done a waterfall scene in a while, I must have missed it, this really didn't come hard, it was fairly easy for me, just took a while, I enjoyed it though.

I jumped right in positioning the rocks and the dark areas, the waterfall just found itself then. I used that purple/gray/neutral tint mixture that I like for rocks, using more purple in some areas and more gray in others and more neutral tint for the dark areas, I also used some of the Jauane Brilliant on them too. I laid in the middle values and mixed it all up and then laid in the dark areas then put the lights on top, I did that pretty much all over, you can do that when you use gouache. I'm going to make this short since I said I'd get it done early, I like this little painting and I hope you do too.

1 comment: