Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 8, 357 to go

This is the 8th small painting, it's winter, I figured I should at least do one winter scene, this scene happens to be just a ditch, but I really liked the composition so, here we go.  I started the sky wet in wet with opaque sky blue and charged into it with the opaque white, I liked the effect with the other ones I did so I decided to do it again since this was a bright blue sky, this painting is almost monochromatic, but just shy of it, my palette was simply prussion blue, burnt sienna (the redish color), a touch of yellow ochre with the burnt sienna, to lighten the weeds in the foreground, and VanDyke brown, oh yes, the sky blue and opaque white, those are it.  The trees in the back ground were burnt sienna with prussian blue and keeping it lighter where the trees come forward, I dry brushed in the background snow shadows and then the shape of the shadow on the ditch, then I painted in the water and reflection.  the shapes of the weeds on the light side of the ditch were very light burnt sienna with some yellow ochre to warm it up, painting it in the shape of the weeds (how they fall over the bank in an arch).  then I put some dark shadows in the weeds at the bottom edge and fine tuned those here and there by using the blue and put some white into it to create the shadow snow shapes then I went in and put some darker marks under those shapes to indicate the weed branches and so on, then the small trees in the fore ground with burnt sienna and to finish it off I went in with the opaque white and put in the branches that went over the dark areas, also some spots that needed a bit of white to indicate snow on top.  It looks pretty good to me, how do you like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment