Monday, February 7, 2011

14 blogs-14 paintings, not bad!

Well, made it to the end of the second week, there is hope.  I haven't got my habits changed yet, I'm still procrastinating, but I am painting, better late than never I say.

I really started 2 today, but the first one I started was a bit more complicated than my brain would deal with, so I opted to paint the floral, always a no brainer for me, I'll finish the other one for tomorrows blog and the beginning of the third week, yea!  I do enjoy the flowers but I've been so enthusiastic about these little landscapes, ah well,as Scarlet would say "tomorrow is another day", hopefully we'll paint.

This little beauty is a watercolor collage, always fun to work on, mostly you paint a beginning shape (the sunflower shapes with the yellows and greens, then you collage the papers on, of course you have to wait until the paint is dry.  Then when the papers are dry you jump back into the flower color and put some of that around where the flowers will be and then the green, you have to keep these washes of paint thin so you don't get too dark too quickly, better to go slow, it's amazing how thin the wash can be and still show up as a second layer, then I find where the center of the flower is and put a wash of a brown/violet color there, and the rest is just do a bunch of negative painting, you have to go in and paint behind the stems, then behind the leaves, and so on, it takes several layers, larger washes first and then as you go darker, smaller ones until you get enough darkness to emphasize the main flower, also, at this point I go in with gesso and make little "holes" on the edges to give some interesting shapes and I usually paint the corners making sure that each corner is a different shape, although, I did not paint all the corners this time with gesso, generally I like to make a cruciform with my flower shapes, which means, it touches on all four sides, always at a different spot on each side so that you end up with an uneven cross shape, as Tony Couch would say "repetition with variation", makes a great composition then.  Well, time for bed and another day of painting tomorrow, hope this one meets with your approval.  Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment