Sunday, February 6, 2011

13th posting-Yea, I painted on Sunday!

Here we are on Sunday, I usually spend the day totally with my Husband, we wash clothes, we shop(usually groceries) and we sometimes go out to eat, today we had family over and I cooked, I cleaned (not great but enough) and I washed the dishes, kitchen all clean, I even took a short nap, then I went and painted, now here I am talking, it took me about 2-1/2 hours, lots of detail in this one, there wasn't much wet in wet, but again, it's opaque, sure have been having fun with those opaques lately.

I did draw this one (lots of times I just jump in with the watercolor), then I did a small sky wet in wet, used some purple and that opaque blue (no white this time), then I put in some yellow green here and there, moved on to the barn roof and painted that in between the green splotches, then I roughed in the junked van and the old thrasher (I thought it was an old horse trailer but my husband corrected me, showed me what the stuff was and I think I did a good job of rendering it, it's an old McCormick, if you can read it), then I put in some green for the grasses and blocked in the trunks of the trees and slid in that little edge of the building on the right, then I charged in with some yellow green with white in it to indicate the highlights on the leaves and and put in some branches.  I then went in and fine tuned the junk stuff and tried to get it to look as much like the photo reference I had.  I put in some opaque light branches and then went in and put in some thin darker ones, since I saw that in the photo, I'm kind of stuck painting lots of detail, I love that stuff and it's fun, but I'm hoping that I can start abstracting if a bit more and get into doing some more simplified pieces, we'll see.  Anyway, back to the painting, I scrubbed my brush over the grassy area in the foreground and then spattered, first with lighter and yellowish paint then with a middle brown, and then went in and made some grass shapes to indicate the detail, I really like this one, hope you do too.



I think this photo was taken in Minnesota on a picture taking trip that my father-in-law took me on, when we went there for a visit (it was my ex's father but I still keep them as family, I divorced him not them), over 10 years ago, I have so many photo's and I haven't had the chance to paint a lot of them, when you paint the large paintings it takes much longer, so this will help me get some of those paintings done, all-be-it small, I've had a lot of fun with these little paintings
 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, another beauty!
    I'm enjoying your blog, hope you don't mind if I share it with others.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete