Thursday, February 17, 2011

24th painting, much better today, not so tired

I started this in the watercolor class in Marshall, I was picking my photo to work from and my student Pat, whooped out these cute little 4" x 4" textured clayboard, wow, I am now going to have to invest in some of these, I had no idea that the clayboard came with texture, I was telling them how dissatisfied I was with yesterday's painting, so now that I've painted on this textured one, I am going to get some, of course mine will be the 6" x 6", I'm trying to keep all these blog paintings about the same. Anyway, I decided to put that same orchid on this small one, obviously there isn't room on 4" to make the whole composition, so I just limited it to one, I like this one a lot, so now I'll show you, then on with the blog painting, the background color isn't quite this dark, it's just dark green.



Now, on with the daily painting, love this, I'm so into these landscapes, I just love painting these water scenes on this clayboard. I started with the greenery at the top and then floated a very light gray color where the water is, then I darkened the greens and punched some orange and yellow in the background tree area (there was some in the photo, but not quite that bright), I got some browns and purples for the rocks and then started fine tuning the background. The water was last, love doing the water with these opaques (when I say opaques, they are watercolors, normally called gouache, the molecules are just larger and make the paint more opaque than the transparent colors). I floated some greens and browns and golds in the warmer areas of the water and put some darks on the rocks, I keep building up the water area with some wave action in darker colors then added the lighter colors on top, finally got down to the white, this really fine tuned it for me, love this one, can't help it, I'm pretty sure you'll agree


.

No comments:

Post a Comment