Thursday, February 3, 2011

10 days, Landscape or not?

Well, I don't think you can technically say this is a landscape, since you see no land, so I guess it's not.  I had to work on this during my class, and so I don't think I was totally programed into it, I am thinking about this one, I kind of like it, but the jury is still out, I'm must be tired. 


The whole thing was started wet in wet, you should have seen the girls faces when I charged in there with bright color, and they look at those blurry edges and really can't see the fish, so they really are looking forward to seeing this one to see how it turned out.

I was excited with the beginning stage, I love wet in wet, as I started to fine tune it it still kept me working, but my favorite part is the wet in wet so I question myself as to the direction to go from here, well, I've done other koi paintings that I like a bit better (not a lot), but that's neither here nor there, this is the one for today.  I used opaques again (that was because I left my paint palette on the table at the studio and didn't remember to take it, so the opaque palette that I carry with my traveling paint studio (a box on rollers and a handle to move it with) had to suffice.  When I'm using my regular palette, I like to ad the opaques a bit at a time, I usually start out transparent and then move into the opaques, so I had to think about this one, I would have liked to see more water movement, but my photo had still water, I did move it a bit in my painting but not a lot.  I charged in painting green and blue in the water area and painted around the lily pads and the koi, I started lighter water at the top and gradually moved down to the blue/purple at the bottom, I worked a bit here and there on the koi and alternated with the lilly pads, some of the lily pads had some pink on them (I think those were the new leaves) and some had yellow (I'm sure those were the old ones since they were ragged and had holes in them), anyway, I just moved around painting here and there, I like some of the koi and I like some of the lily pads, I didn't see much of the weed area and so I kept that similar to the photo, I think it works pretty well.

1 comment:

  1. I watched you start this one......all I can say is WOW !!!
    Looking forward to seeing this one in person.

    ReplyDelete