Thursday, February 10, 2011

painting #17- I'm tired but not of painting, found a new support

I told you yesterday that I had found a new toy, well, it's clayboard, never used that before and have been having a lot of fun with it, now you get to see what I did, it sure is a different kind of support than I usually use, it sure doesn't respond like paper does, and the first thing you notice is, it looks like the paint is just sitting on the surface but, wow, it soaks in, as you are watching, even faster than it dries on paper, yesterday when I started this, I was so excited that I was painting way later than I should have, should have been in bed 2 hours before I got there, so this blog may be short, as I'm really running on a short night and it has been a long day, 3 classes on Thursdays 2 china painting classes and a watercolor class. Yesterday, when I first painted on this support, I thought it wouldn't lift, but it does, not a lot but it does smooth out if you work with it a bit, I fine tuned the painting I did last night, smoothed the edges, enhanced some colors and tried to make it look finished (of course, I probably overdid it, I always do), anyway it works pretty good and I like the drippy look to it.

Ok, you want to know what I did, well, you can't make washes, it just puddles, so you really just start painting, I started with the flowers, the pink that is, then I dropped in the centers, moving top down (didn't want to spoil what I had painted, but guess what, no chance of that, it dries faster than on paper) so how ever you want to do it it will work, except blending is a bit tricky, how I did it was drop the colors in and after I finished the whole thing, I went back with a damp brush and smoothed it out, the best I could without lifting all the paint, obviously, some did come off but not an excessive amount, guess you'd just have to watch me paint to figure out how I did this, that's what the girls in the watercolor class did today, I did another one today, but you won't see that one until tomorrow (that just means that in keeping with this blog, I have to get to the studio and paint something - the whole idea of this is to get me into the studio)anyway, I filled in the gaps (the little white spots between colors) and smoothed out some of the drippy stuff, the stuff that kind of bugged me, but I did like some of it and so it's a good thing not to get rid of it all, hope you like this one, I really do and tomorrows is really fun too, wait and see, good night, talk to you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment