Friday, February 18, 2011

25th painting, get 'er done, lol

Well, today's art is another landscape, so, I'm stuck, I decided to try working on hot press paper today instead of the clayboard, to see if it looked as good and was as easy. Well, I think it looks as good, but the thing with the clayboard is the puddles, yes puddles. They work to your benefit when trying to fudge detail, specially in the background. This one looks ok, but the paper isn't quite as smooth so it doesn't puddle the same way, I've tried the Yupo (plastic paper) and I'm not as fond of it as I am this clayboard.

I started wet in wet for the sky, something that doesn't work well on clayboard, then charged right up to the edge of the sky color (which I used a bit of opaque blue with some purple in it and then added a bit of brown to gray it down) with yellow with purple and some opaque light gray to gray it down, and then some green for the background trees, I just kept moving down the painting blocking in the middle value of the local color for what ever, I avoided the water area until I decided how to approach it. I blocked in the darker areas and put in the fallen down tree trunks. The left side of the painting is a little ambiguous, meaning that the water had been running over the rocks so it was all wet and sort of read like water, I'm not sure if it comes across that way or not, anyway, the rest of it is just layers, some here some there, and build up the overlaying opaque (lighter leaf shapes and tree trunks) then I attacked the water, I scrubbed in some lighter value of the rocks on the falls, after I had the shadows laid in, I then took opaque white and dry brushed it to indicate the cascading water, this was primarily at the end, I detailed forground gravel by spattering with the middle value brown, I started to get a head ache so I'm calling this one done, I like it, but then I usually do, hope you like it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment