Friday, January 28, 2011

On a roll now, day 4

Well, as per and, if you know me, you'd realize that my intentions are good but I'm a procrastinator, meant to get over to the studio this morning and crank out that little ole' painting, well, huh!  Guess what, took me the better part of the day but I did get there.

I'm very enthusiastic right now for these little landscapes, sure hope that I can move on to something else, but the facts are that I have lots of landscape photo's and not many of anything else, so for the time being (at least until I can come up with some other idea), I'm doing landscapes, I do want to do some more flowers but the landscapes just have me, I've really enjoyed working on these small paintings,  I started in October.  I gave a demo for the Hillsdale Art Guild and they wanted to work on some Christmas cards, so I worked up some small paintings to put on cards, I've been pretty happy with them and for time's sake, I'm working on them for this painting obligation I talked myself into (I am enjoying it though). 

The painting for today is a scene right on Hillsdale Road, not far from my Mother-in-laws home, I took it a couple years ago, the purple flowers against the golden fields was so pretty I couldn't resist it, this is the first time I painted it, I may do it again a little larger, don't know just yet.  Anyway, I decided to do some opaques this time, well, they don't say opaques but some of the American Journey paints are very opaque and I used some of those with some of my transparent ones, I think it worked out well.  As in my previous paintings, I started out wet in wet, I painted the sky with an opaque blue and dropped in some white to indicate some clouds, it isn't totally opaque since it was done wet in wet, but I thought it looked good, and I used a Mameri Bleu color Juan Brilliant, reddish shade for the golden fields I dropped in some yellow green mixed with an opaque gray about medium value to indicate the distant trees and as I moved forward I changed it to sap green with the same gray added.  In the foreground I used Mauve and added a bit of Quinacradone Red with some opaque white to make the purplish pink, as I moved to the foreground, I darkened the leaves of the trees with sap green and added mauve to darken it, this is almost straight with barely any water, to get the depth, then, with a rigger, I put in some branches and made some weed strokes at the very bottom edge, all in all, I think it was successful.  I hope you enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment